Wednesday, February 9, 2011

freighting.

I have faith in Christ not for the early Sunday mornings and hand motions of childhood, the smiles from strangers beside the church building, nor my mother's weary voice, tremulous over the phone, straining to push out, "God will take care of you," but rather because of the cigarettes shared on the beach last night, the sound of a banjo with two broken strings, the sweet hesitance in another's tone upon mouthing "fuck" aloud, the way music moved in stillness over traffic lights, relentless in their changing while we watched from the car, parked--my brow furrowed with the fullness and aching of vision and discord and the resilience of tired hearts.

8 comments:

  1. :) nice to read you have a discussion with thought like me. they stream... and sometimes we catch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to me, that was a poem. a beautiful, beautiful description that created in me the EXACT feeling i had when i was lost, living in disobedience, when i wasn't saved. it described my entire attitude, my hard heart, my unrest, the wearyness of my soul which i tried to embrace and supress at the same time with pot and parties and "adrenaline" rushes. like the part about just sitting in a parking lot watching traffic lights as music plays. brought back memories of me just sitting there feeling so empty, so MEANINGLESS, and so thirsty. this was totally a mark of rememberance like we talked about last week. Praise God for redemption :) thank you for this, it struck me really deep. i think it was a sobering reminder of how i felt when i lived for the passions of my flesh. (its completely possible that i interepreted your blog completely wrong, but spoke to me even if i did :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all things and all places and seemingly most of all in the ones where he cathces us by surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this yesterday and it's still mulling over in my mind. I can't shake it, and yet I wouldn't have it any other way. It's good. It's real good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya I agree with Nick, this just keeps playing over and over in my head. its really deep

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, and by the way...happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nothing beats the beauty in finding God ab.sol.ute.ly. EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to talk to you about this. It is quite stirring.

    ReplyDelete